University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: NA16-071. Image from an album in The National Archives referenced as ‘HONG KONG 3. Views of Hong Kong from the 1860s to the 1920s' (CO 1069-446). According to Sihn Kyu-hwan: ‘In September 1903, the colonial authorities approved the plan for the Bacteriological Institute to unify disease control work. By early 1904, [bacteriologist William] Hunter narrowly acquired new public mortuary buildings at Hill Road. In addition to the main autopsy room, there was a room for examination of rats for plague surveillance and smaller rooms for research’ (K.H. Sihn, ‘Reorganizing Hospital Space: The 1894 Plague Epidemic in Hong Kong and the Germ Theory’, Korean Journal of Medical History , available at: https://www.medhist.or.kr/journal/Figure.php?xn=kjmh-26-1-59.xml). See NA16-072.
Public Mortuary, Hill Road, Hong Kong
Black and white photograph
The National Archives, London