Notes

University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: NA16-035. Image from an album in The National Archives referenced as ‘HONG KONG 3. Views of Hong Kong from the 1860s to the 1920s' (CO 1069-446). The Women's Hospital in this photograph was known as the Lock Hospital until 1893, when it was renamed The Women's Hospital (Sheilah E. Hamilton, Watching over Hong Kong: Private Policing 1841-1941, p. 76). The hospital had been established in the 1850s to treat, amongst others, sex workers with venereal diseases. See NA16-032, NA16-033 and NA16-034.

Caption on mount
Women's Hospital & Govt. Civil Hospital facing Queen's Road.
Caption on photograph
4
Related photographs


Location
Estimated date
1890s
Material
Paper
Media
Black and white photograph
Repository
The National Archives, London