University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: Bi01-072. The old Russell & Co. hong on the corner of the Bund and Foochow Road (Fuzhou Lu). The building was completed in 1856 and was bought by the China Merchants Steam Navigation Co. in c.1881. The structure later underwent extensive modifications, including a new façade. Part of the original building with its distinctive pointed arches can still be seen in Fuzhou Lu. It is probably the oldest surviving Western building in Shanghai. See DH-s117.
Russell & Co.'s hong, The Bund, Shanghai
Black and white photograph